Friday, January 28, 2011

Sociology and Empathy

Hello to everyone. I recently watched this great presentation on Sociology and Empathy. When I was in college and studying in the University, I always LOVED Sociology classes. I know they were a heavy part of my study, even though my degree is Nursing. I always have been able to understand people and understand the 'other' point of view better than most. I suppose a lot of that has to do with the courses I've taken, or this ability has led me to enjoy these classes.

I remember one class in particular. We learned all semester about countries and their culture around the world. Our last class was about a country and culture that seemed so strange, as many did. The conclusion was that the chapter was actually written about the USA (our home) and all its 'strange culture' it has from an outsiders point of view. It reminded me/taught me that what we precieve to be completely normal may not be so completely normal to the person across the room, across the country, across the world-we become accustom to our customs and it is difficult to see them as anything other than normal. Many times we also see other customs to be so different that we see them as wrong, and this is many times not the case-many times they are just that, different.

I have had friends from all walks of life, literally, all walks of life: The very rich and the desperately poor. Those from incredibly successful families and those whose homes broken from drug and other substance abuse. I have hung out with people from all corners of the city (this side of the bridge and that side of the bridge). I have really good friends who are from all around the world: USA, Jordan, Malaysia, Canada, West Bank/Palestine, Israel, Turkey, Nicaragua, Mexico, Philippines, India, Pakistan, United Arab Emirates, Bolivia, England, Switzerland, Holland, Australia, and more. I have good friends who are Christian, Muslim, Hindu, and those who don't believe at all . I love them all and have learned from them all. -Thank you all of you!

When I saw the below video, I thought it was worth sharing. In life, I always hope that people can understand each other at a human level, so that we can get past and see past the political agendas. I find this video gives a human touch to the other side of each story that many of us have heard, but have not tried to understand. I hope you take the time to watch, listen, and think about your reactions as you watch and listen. I hope that no one finds it offensive. Rather I hope it brings everyone a bit closer to empathizing with and understanding the 'other' side of the story, what ever side of the story you originally come from.

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article26937.htm

I hope you enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Very good. Thank you for sharing, Beth. I understand.

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete